Dear Valued Friends, Community Partners and Members,
We are writing to let you know that due to a combination of factors, including significant loss of funding at the federal and local level and staff, Flywheel (formerly known as Dane County Timebank) will have to end our work as a non-profit organization. After 16 years of dedicated service, our long-time director, Lorrie Hurckes is leaving her position. Also, our accountant, Bonnie Watson, plans to resign due to personal and family needs. Our services will end August 5th.
As you may know Dane County Timebank/Flywheel Skill Share has been serving Dane County for many years and we have been honored to provide:
- Opportunities for youth to learn transformative justice circle facilitation, leadership skills, community building and other skills. This work has decreased the number of criminal justice citations for youth in the city of Madison.
- Gardening projects supporting a movement toward food sovereignty
- Transportation to increase access for those who need it
- Working with people with developmental disabilities to help them become more independent
- Wellness projects addressing various alternative means for achieving wellness
- Black women’s circle for encourage solidarity and build community
- Abolitionist Transformative Justice workshops
- Transformative Anti-racism circles for the larger community
- Community Labs for Intentional Practice for building alternative to white supremacist cultural norms
- Timebanking/Skill sharing for sharing resources and skills, helping to move toward sustainable alternatives to economic exploitation and ostracization
- Training and working with Restorative Justice Youth Ambassadors, parents and mentors
- Numerous cultural and social events helped to build community and solidarity
We realize that our departure from this work in this capacity may be an inconvenience for many of you. We apologize for that. For those seeking resources for transportation:
- Non-emergency medical transportation support: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/nemt/index.htm
- RSVP of Dane County – transportation resource: https://www.rsvpdane.org
- We encourage you to maintain the volunteer arrangements you have with each other for transportation if that is possible.
We have felt a sense of fulfillment and agency in doing this work for the community. We would like to thank the hundreds of members, volunteers, former employees, board members, community partners, program participants and leaders, funders and donors who have made this work possible. Your interest, service and commitment to social justice is so greatly appreciated.
A celebration to honor volunteers, staff and members will be held in early August. Invitations will be shared soon. We will meet at Tip Top tavern on Tuesday August 9 at 5:30 pm. Please join us.
Please feel free to reach out to us regarding any questions you have. We wish you well.
Lorrie Hurckes, Alexis Gardner and Damita Brown